EORTC-VUB Fellowship to conduct a research project on “Modern Governance of Large International Research Organizations” (2019-2023)
The EORTC is a not for profit, non-governmental organization which is dedicated to improving survival and quality of life of cancer patients, through clinical research activities. Due to the evolution of science, regulations, models of partnerships, funding routes, ensuring public transparency and credibility as well as many other parameters in a constantly evolving society, the EORTC is willing to revisit its governance not limited to its board of Directors, but also extended to its control, action, fund raising and financial mechanisms. Thanks to the collaboration between VUB and EORTC, the projects intends to deliver new governance rules for the EORTC.
As a research organization, EORTC favors academic partnerships and it has been agreed that this project would be best performed through a research project supporting a fellowship with the intention to deliver a PhD thesis.
The modalities of the project will be laid down in a research plan to be developed and agreed upon. Over a period of maximum 4 years, the research program will develop and validate governance rules for the EORTC and monitor their applicability. It will lead to regular reports and publications.
Profile and skills
- Have obtained a MA degree
- Show good knowledge of all relevant governance concepts and related research
- Have the necessary research skills
- Have an excellent knowledge of English
- Knowledge of and/or experience with non profit organizations is an asset
- Understanding the medical and research environment is an asset
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Be motivated and have a strong sense of responsibility
- Be a team player
- Be able to work in an international and multidisciplinary environment
Candidates must send:
- a full curriculum vitae
- a letter of motivation containing the following information:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Permanent and current address
- Level of languages: Read/Write/Speak – Fluent/Good/Some
- Academic Background since secondary school
- Professional qualifications and experience (please mention addresses)
- Current position (please mention address)
- Date of availability
- A list of abstracts / publications
- Three referees and their contact information
- Two letters of recommendations
All documents shall be written in English.
Support to the fellow is provided by a multidisciplinary staff. The fellowship will take place at VUB and at the EORTC Headquarters in Brussels. Interested applicants can contact Prof. Dr. Stijn Van Puyvelde for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The estimated starting date of the fellowship is to be defined. The fellowship is for a period of maximum 4 years. EORTC and VUB offer a highly stimulating, professional and friendly atmosphere in an international environment.
Applications, including the CV and a letter of intent which will include all referred above, must be sent no later than Mid-May, 2019.